Friday, September 16, 2011

Thank You

Over the past two years I have seemingly manged to knock down some of that great massive brick wall that blocked my way from fulfilling what i have always wanted. Individually, i have improved as a person. It's funny how some people only just realise their exceedingly selfish ways after something terrible happens to them, for i am one of them. Two years ago, i was in a better position than i am in today, now i'm not saying that i am not appreciative for what i have now, this is the point i'm trying to make. I was in a position where instead of complaining for what i didn't have, mostly useless crap btw, i should've been appreciative and be thankful for what i had. I have come to my senses now, and i am beyond appreciative for what i have. Well try my best to be, anyway. I am surrounded by an immense contrast between rich and poor, living in Jakarta. Luxury tall buildings which tower over the metropolitan cities are ants in comparison to the small estates that surround them. Now, you're probably thinking that that's quite impossible. Wrong. One apartment building is surrounded by a world of poverty just meters away from it. I haven't even discussed the amount of begging i have witnessed on the street. One thing my father always told me was that if they're selling something on the street, then you should always buy their product, because they are actually attempting to make an effort to improve their lives. Now, i still follow that rule, yes, but i still do give money to those who aren't selling anything. You can't ignore those people, because the government is too busy ignoring them already. I don't think i've ever seen any government houses in Jakarta, my entire life. I am just beyond clueless! Sure, there are some good-hearted people out there in this city giving these people a hand, but why is the government not doing the same thing? Or even if they are, why haven't they made this situation their number one priority?! The poverty i have seen in Jakarta alone, was enough to change my entire way of thinking. I am a very, very lucky person to have most of my family still here with me today. I am a very, very lucky person to be receiving education 5 times a week, and i am beyond thankful for many more things. It's taken 15 years of my life to be this current developing person i am right now.

It's only when something shit happens to you, when you finally realise your faults, and i am most certainly a prime example of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment